Well, after pure, unadulterated chaos in the Windwalker channels following a CM telling people that changes were coming, we have information on what those changes are: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759160263#1
- Damage of all abilities increased by 15%.
- Vestments of Enveloped Dissonance 2-piece bonus now reduces the cooldown of Rising Sun Kick by 1 second (was 2 seconds).
- Xuen’s Battlegear 4-piece bonus now increases critical strike chance of Rising Sun Kick by 30% (was 65%).
There was a typo with the 4pc nerf, where they said it was Fists of Fury but it was just a typo.
So to get down to what’s first; this is about a 7.9% buff, according to my spreadsheet. This means that we’re around 2-3% higher than before Tuesday when we received a 5% nerf, again, according to my spreadsheet. If you didn’t have the t19 2pc, then you see more of an increase, because you saw less of a decrease previously. This also means that you will see sims telling you to drop the t19 2pc bonus for higher ilevel gear much faster, likely around 30-40 total ilvl improvement, before I’m able to actually test it. Some people may even see a reason to drop the t20 4pc if you happen to have a large gap in item levels.
Obviously, its great to gain damage. However, what many people may notice is that this is a further step away from the playstyle that many people believed was the pinnacle of fluidity and fun, both by nerfing the tier bonuses that made it so, and by “forcing” players away from using those tier bonuses entirely. As was previously stated in the response to my PTR forum essay, the t21 still has time to be tweaked and changed, so its impossible to make any comment on how things will be in Antorus. Many people will say that this buff to our aura and nerf to our tier is a further “bandaid”… and they’d be right. However, non-“bandaid” changes don’t come in a Hotfix in the middle of the day on a Thursday. Whether or not the t21 will be changed to be more enjoyable, only time will tell.
What you need to know, ALWAYS sim things to be sure for your character:
- Although this moves the very soft Crit “soft cap” up to 70% instead of 35%, it wasn’t worth worrying about before, so it won’t be worth worrying about now. No changes to stat priority.
- Nearly everyone will drop t19 2pc, as the ilvl increase from t19 won’t be anywhere near what it once was
- Some people may even seen a reason to drop t20 4pc depending on what ilvl gear they have
- Serenity will play differently, yet again. It will return to the Pre-Tomb way of not cancelling Fists of Fury, getting 2(3?) Rising Sun Kick, 1 Strike of the Windlord, filling time with Blackout Kick/Spinning Crane Kick, and clipping the end of Serenity with Fists of Fury for the free cast.
Raidbots and SimCraft are updated, however the APLs will take several days to improve! I understand that’s less than ideal for many people still progressing, some literally in the middle of a boss when their tier got changed, but it will take some time for the smoke to settle.
Sim Profile Results:
- The Emperor’s Capacitor and Drinking Horn Cover sim the highest in single target, followed by Cenedril, Reflector of Hatred, Cinidaria, the Symbiote, and The Wind Blows.
- Whirling Dragon Punch and Serenity are really close. Its also possible that the previous APLs being set up for former 6pc are causing current 4pc Serenity to be undervalued. They are much closer now than previously, but Serenity should still be slightly ahead in all situations.
- Chi Wave and Eye of the Tiger are just about even. The less downtime you have, the more Eye of the Tiger will pull ahead.
- Stat priorities still depend on your character.
- T19 2pc bonus is now worth around 15 item levels if you have t20 4pc… ouch.
- T20 2pc is worth around 30 ilevels.
- T20 4pc is worth around 35 ilevels above the t20 2pc.
- Which 4 pieces you use to get the t20 4pc doesn’t matter much, go with the combo that gets you the highest ilvl.
- Rising Sun Kick relics are down to +11 item levels in single target, from +15. Its still the best relic for single target.
Still always best to sim yourself!!!