Welcome to PeakofSerenity’s Mistweaver Monk PvE Necrolord Guide. This guide is designed to be a more in-depth look at the Necrolord Covenant. Navigate quickly to the section you need using the sidebar on the right.
For information on how the Covenants compare to each other, see the PvE Quick Guide.
This guide has been updated for Patch 9.0 and is regularly updated when discussion, theorycrafting, or testing yields new information.
Necrolords provide Bonedust Brew, allowing you to throw a brew on the ground, applying a buff/debuff to any allies and/or enemies within the brew’s radius for 10 seconds. Any target with this effect has a 50% chance to receive any healing or damage event again, but at 35% effectiveness. There is also the Mistweaver-specific effect, which is a flat increase to Gusts of Mists to anyone with the buff. The rough breakdown: we get about a 17.5% increase in throughput from the duplication chance, and about 2 main target Vivifies (without mastery) worth of healing (~200% SP) from the secondary effect over a single use’s duration. This ability has a 1 minute cooldown.
They also provide everyone within the covenant the ability Fleshcraft, which lets you channel for 4 seconds to gain an absorb shield between 20-50% of your HP (depending on how many corpses are near your body) which lasts 2 minutes. In a raid fight, you can expect a 20% shield, while in M+, you can use it right after a pack for a larger shield. The rough breakdown is 10-25% of your HP a minute, but as a Mistweaver we’re already quite tanky with good defensives, so you don’t really need it.
- Overall: Meh.
- Raiding: Upsetting.
- Mythic+: Alright if you can abuse the buffs meh other wise.
- Defense: Pretty good. A shield that happens when you drop below 50% is pretty nice.
- Utility: Pretty good. Free armor durability.
- Overall: Really good.
- Raiding: Amazing a free 13% Intellect on demand that also boosts allies DPS/HPS is great.
- Mythic+: Not as amazing but still really good for the same reason.
- Defense: Alright if gravity and you are not friends or you barely are getting killed through Fleshcraft.
- Utility: Basically not a factor.
- Overall: Nice.
- Raiding: Nice. 3% passive Intellect is really strong.
- Mythic+: Nice. 3% passive Intellect is really strong and you get more shields.
- Defense: Pretty nice. Cuts down on Fleshcrafts cooldown a good bit in keys.
- Utility: Cool I guess… You move a little faster.
- Guaranteed: 1x Endurance and 1x Potency
- Choice 1: 1x Endurance OR 1x Potency OR 1x Finesse
- Choice 2: 1x Endurance OR 1x Finesse
1. Volatile Solvent – Using Fleshcraft with nearby corpses consumes their essence completely, granting a benefit based on the creature’s type.
You’ll get some use out of this in Mythic+, but in raids with adds dying and then despawning, you won’t. Not exactly sure what these benefits are exactly if anyone could help out with those!
2. Ooz’s Frictionless Coating – When reduced below 50% health, Ooz courses over you, granting you a shield for 15% of your maximum health for 10 seconds. Can only occur once every 30 seconds.
A 15% shield can reduce a big chunk of incoming damage which is really useful on progression fights and in higher Mythic+ in which you drop below 50% quite often. It also allows you to more casually heal other people up while keeping your own health stable.
3. Travel with Bloop – While standing still, you build stacks of Bloop’s Wanderlust. At 5 stacks, you gain 10% increased movement speed for 2 minutes.
This is a really small movement buff, it’s not worth standing still to get this.
4. Plaguey’s Preemptive Strike – Your first attack or spell against an enemy increases your damage done to them by 10% for seconds. Can only be applied to one target at a time.
Seeing as in Mythic+ we tag mobs for Mystic Touch using Spinning Crane Kick, this will proc instantly so you can’t really get a lot of use out of it on every target. In raid content it’s virtually useless as well.
5. Kevin’s Keyring – Once every 12 hours, allows you to open a lock that requires up to 60 Lockpicking skill. Every second you spend channeling Fleshcraft reduces this cooldown by 1 hour.
Mythic+ dungeons in Shadowlands have no lockpicking stuff so this would only be useful for lockboxes.
6. Plagueborn Cleansing Slime – Defeating enemies has a chance to spawn a Plagueborn Cleansing Slime, which improves your armor’s remaining durability.
Repair gold is easy to come by, so this is just flavour stuff really.
7. Ultimate Form – You are immune to crowd control and regenerate 2% health every second while channeling Fleshcraft. When you complete the channel, you’ll be immune to crowd control for 4 more seconds and regenerate 2% health every second during that time.
Really good for PvP to counter predictable enemy CC, can see some use in Mythic+ for that reason as well. In raids, this does nothing though and 8% health isn’t really that much.
- Guaranteed: 1x Finesse and 1x Endurance
- Choice 1: 1x Potency OR 1x Endurance
- Choice 2: 1x Endurance OR 1x Potency OR 1x Finesse
This is a really strong passive Intellect bonus right when you use Bonedust Brew, so it’s affecting the healing caused by that as well. It has a tight range restriction, though, so using Bonedust Brew while in a clump of players is your best bet.
5% is a really marginal amount. This won’t really make a difference.
This is some real nice utility for when you’re moving and you don’t have Essence Font or Renewing Mists to cast, or you suddenly need to move from a mechanic during your channel.
4. Cartilaginous Legs – After taking fall damage, the health lost will turn into a shield that lasts for 30 seconds.
Once again, useless if there’s no fight that involves fall damage. However, on fights that do, this will keep your effective health exactly the same and give you a chance to heal it up while other mechanics are happening.
5. Hearth Kidneystone – You may attune your Hearth Kidneystone to any resting location and return to it. This has a 12 hour cooldown which is reduced by 5 minutes for every killing blow you deliver.
Basically an extra Hearthstone for world content. Considering the scarcity of Flight Paths in some places, this might be quicker for travelling in some cases.
6. Gristled Toes – Movement speed is increased by 3% for every nearby enemy, up to 15%.
A minor movement speed increase which is mostly active in Mythic+. You won’t need this often.
7. Gnashing Chompers – Gain 3% Haste for 10 seconds after defeating an enemy, stacking up to 15%.
In Mythic+, where you mostly kill trash at the same time, this will only really be active towards the end of a trash pack. In raids, you won’t get a noticeable benefit from this.
8. Sulfuric Emission – When reduced below 20% health, you fear nearby enemies for 4.5 seconds. Can only occur once every 60 seconds.
Your tank is going to hate you if you run this in Mythic+. Thankfully, most adds in raids are immune to fear.
- Guaranteed: 1x Finesse and 1x Endurance
- Choice 1: 1x Potency OR 1x Endurance
- Choice 2: 1x Potency OR 1x Endurance OR 1x Finesse
Forgeborne Reveries – Your Intellect and Armor are increased by 1% for each enchantment on your armor, up to 3%. When you die your armor continues to fight, allowing you to fight for 10 more seconds. During these 10 seconds your damage and healing are reduced by 50% and you are unhealable
This is very solid as it passively increases your int and the majority of your healing by 3%. The secondary effect is also very useful as it allows you to get a few moves off after death.
Resourceful Fleshcrafting – Defeating an enemy reduces the cooldown of Fleshcraft by 1 second.
In raids you won’t get any benefit from this and in Mythic+ it will be so tiny it will hardly be noticeable.
Serrated Spaulders – Inflicts 50% of your Attack Power in Shadow damage to enemies that attack you at melee range over 5 seconds.
Basically a permanent Thorns effect but in the form of damage over time. It will help you kill stuff a bit quicker in world content, but in Mythic+ and raids, where you shouldn’t have aggro at all, this won’t do much.
Runeforged Spurs – Your mounted movement speed is increased by 5% and increased by an additional 10% for 30 seconds when attacked.
Woohoo, you can run past enemies while doing world quests a bit quicker! If you don’t get dazed, that is.
Bonesmith’s Satchel – You have a chance to obtain a satchel of a bonesmith’s preferred ore and gems when you kill an enemy that yields experience or honor.
Free materials = free gold.
Heirmir’s Arsenal: Gorestompers – Damaging or healing a target below 35% health grants you 35% increased movement speed for 5 seconds once you start moving. Can only occur once every minute.
A moderate speed boost, but it won’t occur that often. It would have to line up perfectly with mechanics to make this worth using. However, it does come with a Potency slot to get there.
Heirmir’s Arsenal: Marrowed Gemstone – After landing 10 critical strikes, you gain 18% increased Critical Strike chance for 10 seconds. Can only occur once every minute.
On average this will likely net you about 3% Critical Strike chance over a fight’s duration. It’s a nice bonus to have.
Heirmir’s Arsenal: Ravenous Pendant – Defeating an enemy restores 3% of your maximum health every 6 seconds, for 6 seconds, stacking up to 5 times. Adding a stack refreshes the duration.
You won’t really see a use for this in raids, but in Mythic+ this can be really strong. If you kill a pack of 5 mobs really close to each other this will heal you for 18% of your maximum health before you get to the next trash pack. This saves a bit of healing between trash packs which gives you more time to drink or allows you to start DPSing quicker once you get to the next pack.
Changes with Covenant
Throw this right before damage hit for healing or on a mob whenever to do more DPS.