I was inspired by Babylonius’s Talent Tree post and decided to make my own. This is a bit more extensive than his as I have gone through the process of making a base Monk talent tree as I felt this was necessary in order to get a better idea of what would be baseline for Monk and what would land in each talent tree.
Fists of Fury is reworked. Fists of Fury is a lackluster button that constantly needs to be bandaid fixed with borrowed power systems (Fury of Xuen, Open Palm Strikes, SoFO 2 piece) and overall just feels antiquated. The goal of the redesign is to evoke more excitement when pressing it rather than it just being a brief pause in your rotation.
- Fists of Fury now is a 2 second channel similar to Fel Barrage. If you’re unfamiliar with how Fel Barrage functions mechanically here’s a brief explanation: Instead of haste shortening the duration of the channel, Fel Barrage instead is a set duration and haste increases the number of hits during the channel. I believe this far better aligns with what I imagine a ‘Fists of Fury’ fantasy to be – to rapidly pummel your foes and overwhelm them with your quick strikes instead of what it currently is – a 3ish second long pause in your rotation. It isn’t exciting, you don’t look forward to it in your rotation and that’s a shame because of how much more it could be. Additionally I think the channel should end with a larger final hit to discourage you from ending the channel early which was a big concern during Shadowlands. If you’re familiar with the Ip Man movies, that’s more of what I’m going for.
- I have increased the radius of the Windwalking aura to 40 yards and ideally it would be changed/fixed so that it properly stacks with other movement speed increases.
- Serenity has an additional new effect which reads, “always benefits from Mastery: Combo Strikes.” This means that during Serenity your abilities will act like they’re benefitting from your mastery even on repeat spells. This may lead to a spammy playstyle but I think it is necessary in order for Serenity to keep up in AoE with Storm, Earth, and Fire with a 2 Chi Spinning Crane Kick.
To conclude baseline changes Touch of Karma no longer deals damage baseline. I think this is a healthy change to the ability as even Ion has noted before they do not like the idea of people seeking out sources of damage to use their defensive on. Whether you like it or not, if you want to min-max your Windwalker play you need to be mindful of mechanics during bosses that could be used more effectively for Touch of Karma damage. The ability now instead just gives you a shield for 50% of your maximum hp for 10 seconds, with an optional talent to causing it to heal you or allowing Touch of Karma to be used on allies.
Moving onto the the talent trees themselves, if you want to mess around with the talent trees I’ve created you need to
- Download Talent Tree Manager
- Import Talent Tree(s) via Pastebin: Monk Class Tree, Windwalker Tree
- If you want to see the Monk Icons you will need to download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14qGvcmLBm06TR94NdehMJKjhlJ_T-X5C/view?usp=sharing
- Unzip the rar into your C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\WoWTalentTreeManager\resources\icons folder. You may need to restart the program after placing the folder there to see the icons.
For those who are not interested in the above I’ll be going over the trees below. The trees I’ve made are based on the Shaman class tree and the Elemental tree as I believe they are some of the most well designed so far. I’m going to present these similar to how Blizzard presents these official class trees. Bear in mind the tuning of these talents is probably way off and this mainly is serving as a way to show some ideas I think they should incorporate into the class trees.
Baseline Monk Abilities
All maximum level monks will have access to these abilities. They are earned through leveling and do not require you to spend talent points to have them.
Tiger Palm: Strike with the palm of your hand, dealing (27.027% of Attack power) Physical damage.
Windwalker (Level 19)
Tiger Palm has an 8% chance to make your next Blackout Kick cost no Chi
Reduces the remaining cooldown on your Brews by 1 sec
Kick with a blast of Chi energy, dealing [(84.7% of Attack power) * [(Attack power * 0.98)][((Attack power + Offhand attack power) * 2 / 3)] — 2H, DW / Attack power] Physical damage.
Kick with a blast of Chi energy, dealing (84.7% of Attack power) Physical damage.
Roll: Roll a short distance.
Vivify: Causes a surge of invigorating mists, healing the target for (141% of Spell power)
Mistweaver (Level 37)
and all allies with your Renewing Mist active for (104% of Spell power)
Crackling Jade Lightning: Channel Jade lightning, causing (22.4% of Attack power) Nature damage over 4 sec to the target and sometimes knocking back melee attackers.
Provoke: Taunts the target to attack you and causes them to move toward you at 50% increased speed.
Zen Pilgrimage: Your spirit travels to your home temple, leaving your body behind.
Use Zen Pilgrimage again to return back to near your departure point.
Resuscitate: Returns the spirit to the body, restoring a dead target to life with 35% of maximum health and mana. Cannot be cast when in combat.
Soothing Mist: Heals the target for (900% of Spell power) over 20 sec.
While channeling, Vivify are instant cast, and will heal the soothed target without breaking the Soothing Mist channel.
- Given by default when selecting the Mistweaver Specialization.
Rising Sun Kick: Kick upwards, dealing [(143.8% of Attack power) * [(Attack power * 0.98)][((Attack power + Offhand attack power) * 2 / 3)] — 2H, DW / Attack power] Physical damage.
- Given by default when selecting the Mistweaver or Windwalker Specializations.
Fortifying Brew: Turns your skin to stone, increasing your current and maximum health by 15% and reducing damage taken by 15% for 15 sec.
- Given by default when selecting the Brewmaster Specialization.
Spinning Crane Kick: Spin while kicking in the air, dealing [4 * (10% of Attack power) * [(Attack power * 0.98)][((Attack power + Offhand attack power) * 2 / 3)] — 2H, DW / Attack power] Physical damage over 1.5 sec to all enemies within 8 yds. Deals reduced damage beyond 5 targets.
- Given by default to Brewmaster or Windwalker Specializations.
Healing Elixir: Drink a healing elixir, healing you for 15% of your maximum health.
Spear Hand Strike: Jabs the target in the throat, interrupting spellcasting and preventing any spell from that school of magic from being cast for 4 sec.
- Enough to Share: Fortifying Brew affects party members at 50% effectiveness.
- Fortifying Ingredients: Fortifying Brew grants you a shield equal to 25.0% of your maximum health for 15 sec.
- Tuck and Roll: Roll reduces fall damage taken by 40% for 2 sec.
- Roll Out: During Roll and Chi Torpedo, you are immune to roots and snares.
Disable: Reduces the target’s movement speed by 50% for 15 sec, duration refreshed by your melee attacks.
Rushing Jade Wind: Windwalker / Brewmaster
After you Spinning Crane Kick, summon a whirling tornado around you dealing 50% of the damage of your previous Spinning Crane Kick over 6 sec to all enemies within 8 yards. If this effect is reapplied, any remaining damage will be added to the new Rushing Jade Wind.
Deals reduced damage beyond 5 targets.
After you Spinning Crane Kick, summon a whirling tornado around you, healing 50% of the damage of your previous Spinning Crane Kick over 9 sec to up to 6 allies within 10 yards. If this effect is reapplied, any remaining healing will be added to the new Rushing Jade Wind.
- Chi Wave: A wave of Chi energy flows through friends and foes, dealing (14.2015% of Attack power) Nature damage or (42% of Attack power) healing. Bounces up to 7 times to targets within 25 yards.
- Chi Burst: Hurls a torrent of Chi energy up to 40 yds forward, dealing (46% of Attack power) Nature damage to all enemies, and (94.5% of Attack power) healing to the Monk and all allies in its path. Healing reduced beyond 6 targets.
Niuzao’s Resolve: Increases Versatility by 2%/4%.
Leg Sweep: Knocks down all enemies within 6 yards, stunning them for 3 sec.
Detox: Removes all Poison and Disease effects from the target.
Measured Strikes: Windwalker / Brewmaster
Reduces the energy cost of your Tiger Palm by 5/10.
Reduces the mana cost of your Rising Sun Kick 5%/10%.
Gift of the Jade Serpent: Chi Wave has a 10% chance per bounce to spawn a Healing Sphere next to the lowest health ally within 40 yards.
Chi Burst has a 5% chance to spawn a Healing Sphere next to the lowest health ally within 40 yards.
If allies walk through it, they consume the sphere, healing themselves for (140% of Spell Power). Maximum of 5 Healing Spheres can be active by the Monk at any given time.
Expel Harm: Expel negative chi from your body, healing for (120% of Spell power) and dealing 10% of the amount healed as Nature damage to an enemy within 8 yards.
Draws in the positive chi of all your Healing Spheres to increase the healing of Expel Harm.
May be cast during Soothing Mist, and will additionally heal the Soothing Mist target.
Generates 1 Chi.
Healthy Appetite: Increases maximum Health by 5%.
Ring of Peace: Form a Ring of Peace at the target location for 5 sec. Enemies that enter will be ejected from the Ring.
- Tiger Tail Lasso: Increases the range of Leg Sweep by 2 yards and pulls all enemies to your current location.
- Dizzying Tumble: Targets affected by your Leg Sweep deal 15% less damage for 8 sec.
Paralysis: Incapacitates the target for 1 min. Limit 1. Damage will cancel the effect.
Tiger Strikes: You have an 8% chance on each attack to proc a 50% attack speed buff and 4 extra attacks.
- Chi Shroud: Expel Harm grants an absorb shield for 10% of the amount healed.
- Expelling Detox: Expel Harm removes 1 harmful Poison or Disease from you.
- Spinning Jade Blossom: Deals (105% of attack power) Nature damage to your target.
If Spinning Jade Blossom is cast on a target outside of melee range, the damage is increased by 50% and you root the target for 1.5 sec.
- Song of Chi-Ji: Conjures a cloud of hypnotic mist that slowly travels forward. Enemies touched by the mist fall asleep, Disoriented for 20 sec.
Sparring: Increases the range of your melee attacks by 3 yards.
- Deadly Reach: Increases the range of your Paralysis spell by 10 yards and removes the energy cost.
- Perpetual Paralysis: Paralysis range reduced by 10 yards, but spreads to 2 new enemies when removed.
Fortune Charm: Increases critical strike chance by 2%/4%.
Harm Denial: Increases the healing of your Expel Harm and Chi Spells by 15%/30%.
Increases maximum number of Healing Spheres active by 1/2.
Deft Manuevering: Increases Avoidance and Dodge chance by 2%/4%.
- Dampen Harm: Reduces all damage you take by 20% to 50% for 10 sec, with larger attacks being reduced by more.
- Diffuse Magic: Reduces magic damage you take by 60% for 6 sec, and transfers all currently active harmful magical effects on you back to their original caster if possible.
Celerity: Reduces the cooldown of Roll by 2.5/5 sec.
Exit Strategy: Rolling grants you 10% Avoidance for 2 sec. Taking non-periodic damage in this time reduces the cooldown of Roll by 5 sec.
Zen Meditation: Reduces all damage taken by 60% for 8 sec. Being hit by a melee attack, or taking another action will cancel this effect.
Teachings of the Broken Temple: Tiger Palm now deals damage 1/2 additional time.
Blackout Kick now also deals an additional 5%/10% damage over 6 sec.
Healing Elixir: Drink a healing elixir, healing you for 15% of your maximum health.
- Chi Torpedo: Torpedoes you forward a long distance and increases your movement speed by 30% for 10 sec, stacking up to 2 times.
- Tiger’s Lust: Increases a friendly target’s movement speed by 70% for 6 sec and removes all roots and snares.
Fundamental Observation: Zen Meditation has 50% reduced cooldown and is no longer canceled when you move or when you are hit by melee attacks.
Eye of the Tiger: Tiger Palm also applies Eye of the Tiger, dealing (28.1736% of Attack power) Nature damage to the enemy and (28.1736% of Attack power) healing to the Monk over 8 sec. Limit 1 target.
Transcendence: Split your body and spirit, leaving your spirit behind for 15 min. Use Transcendence: Transfer to swap locations with your spirit.
Celestial Bond: Windwalker
Abilities that activate Combo Strikes reduce the cooldown of Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger by 0.2/0.4 sec.
Abilities that grant Shuffle reduce the cooldown on Invoke Niuzao, the Black Ox by 0.3/0.6 sec.
Abilities that activate Gust of Mist reduce the Cooldown on Invoke Yul’on, the Jade Serpent by 0.3/0.6 sec.
Power of the Emperor: Crackling Jade Lightning deals 25%/50% more damage and may now be channeled while moving.
Tumbling Technique: Blackout Kick has a 5%/10% chance to grant a charge of Roll.
Chi Orbit: Every 5 sec, an orb of energy forms, and rotates around you until it impacts an enemy, dealing (24.57% of Attack power) damage to all nearby enemies. Maximum 4 orbs.
When an orb detonates it spawns a Healing Sphere.
- Escape from Reality: After you use Transcendence: Transfer, you can use Transcendence: Transfer again within 10 sec, ignoring its cooldown.
- Swift Transference: Transcendence: Transfer increases your movement speed by 30% for 5 sec.
Celestial Dynasty: Increases the size, health, and duration of your Celestial(s) by 50%.
Touch of Death:
You exploit the enemy target’s weakest point, instantly killing them. Only usable on creatures that have less health than you. Deals damage equal to 35% of your maximum health against players and stronger creatures under 15% health.
Reduces delayed Stagger damage by 200% of damage dealt
Spawns 3 Chi Spheres, granting 1 Chi when you walk through them.
Increases the Monk’s Physical damage by 15% for 10 sec.
Increases your maximum Chi by 1, maximum Energy by 20, and your Energy regeneration by 10%.
Increases your Stagger by 5%, maximum Energy by 20, and your Energy regeneration by 10%.
Increases your maximum Mana by 20%, and your Mana regeneration by 10%.
- Invoker’s Delight: You gain 33% haste for 20 sec after summoning your Celestial.
- Constellation Star-Chart: Invoking any Celestial now summons all 4 of them.
- Fatal Flying Guillotine: Touch of Death strikes up to 4 additional nearby targets.
- Fatal Touch: Touch of Death now does 100% of your maximum health against stronger creatures under 15% health.
Reduces the cooldown of Touch of Death by 60 sec.
Fists of Fury: Pummels all targets in front of you with rapid strikes, dealing Physical damage over 2 sec to your primary target and SMALLER AMOUNT of physical damage over 2 sec to all other enemies. At the end of the channel deliver one final blow dealing LARGER AMOUNT physical damage. Deals reduced damage beyond 5 targets. Can be channeled while moving.
Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger: Summons an effigy of Xuen, the White Tiger for 24 sec. Xuen attacks your primary target, and strikes 3 enemies within 10 yards every 1 sec with Tiger Lightning for (23% of Attack power) Nature damage.
Windwalking: Your and your allies within 40 yards have 10% increased movement speed.
- Storm, Earth, and Fire: 1 Charges 1.5 min recharge
Split into 3 elemental spirits for 15 sec, each spirit dealing 45% of normal damage and healing.
You directly control the Storm spirit, while Earth and Fire spirits mimic your attacks on nearby enemies.
While active, casting Storm, Earth, and Fire again will cause the spirits to fixate on your target.
- Serenity: 2 Charges 30 sec recharge
Enter an elevated state of mental and physical serenity for 4 sec. While in this state, you deal 30% increased damage and healing, all Chi consumers are free, cool down 100% more quickly, and always benefit from Mastery: Combo Strikes.
Flying Serpent Kick: Soar forward through the air at high speed for 1.5 sec.
If used again while active, you will land, dealing (8.7892% of Attack power) damage to all enemies within 8 yards and reducing movement speed by 70% for 4 sec.
- March of the Legion: Windwalking increases movement speed by an additional 15%.
- Wind Waker: When you or allies within your Windwalking are snared, the snare is instantly removed and their movement speed is prevented from being reduced below 100% for 4 sec. This effect cannot occur more than once every 60 sec per target.
Touch of Karma: Absorbs all damage taken for 10 sec, up to 50% of your maximum health.
- Tiger Style: The agile essence of Xuen infuses your Flying Serpent Kick, allowing you to control the winds during flight but reduces duration by .5 sec. NOTE: This allows you to hold jump during it and fly diagonally upward.
- Improved Flying Serpent Kick: Increases duration of Flying Serpent Kick by 1 sec.
Sunrise Technique: Attacking a target with Rising Sun Kick causes your damaging abilities to deal 2% damage to that target for 10 sec.
- Good Karma: 100% of the damage absorbed by Touch of Karma also heals you over time.
- Shared Karma: Touch of Karma protects a targeted ally from harm instead, absorbing damage equal to 50% of your maximum health for 10 sec.
Katsuo’s Eclipse: Reduce the cost of Fists of Fury by 1 Chi.
Heavy Handed Strikes: Damaging a target with Fists of Fury applies a stacking debuff that causes the target to take 3% more damage from Fists of Fury for 4 sec.
Improved Rising Sun Kick: You gain an additional charge of Rising Sun Kick.
Inner Peace: Increases maximum energy by 30.
Strength of Xuen: Increases the chance for Tiger Palm to make your next Blackout Kick cost no Chi by 6%.
Mark of the Crane: Spinning Crane Kick’s damage is increased by 18% for each unique target you’ve struck in the last 20 sec with Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick, or Rising Sun Kick. Stacks up to 5 times.
- Crosswinds: During Fists of Fury, Wind Spirit images of you attack your Fists of Fury targets dealing additional Physical damage and applying an additional stack of Heavy Handed Strikes.
- The Wind Blows: The final hit of Fists of Fury makes your next Blackout Kick cost no chi and deal 50% more damage.
- Power Strikes: Every 15 sec, your next Tiger Palm will generate 1 additional Chi, or a Chi Sphere if already at maximum Chi.
- Open Palm Strikes: When Fists of Fury deals damage, it has a 5% chance to refund 1 Chi.
Spiritual Bond: Increases the maximum number of charges of Storm, Earth, and Fire and Serenity by 1.
Wisdom of Chi-Ji: When you consume Blackout Kick!, you generate 1 Chi.
Dance of Chi-Ji: Your Spinning Crane Kick critical hits have a chance to make your next Spinning Crane Kick free and apply Mark of the Crane.
Swift Fists: Reduces the cooldown of Fists of Fury by 2/4 sec.
Spiritual Focus: Increases the damage and healing bonus of Serenity by 2.5%/5%.
Increases the damage dealt by Storm, Earth, and Fire spirits by 2.5%/5%.
Tiger Claws: Increases the damage of Tiger Palm by 15%/30%.
Gaining the Upper Hand: Blackout Kick! reduces the cooldown of affected abilities by an additional 1 sec.
Fury of Xuen: Your Combo Strikes grant a stacking 1.5% chance for your next Fists of Fury to grant 15% haste and invoke Xuen, the White Tiger for 8 sec.
Weapons of Order:
For the next 30 sec, your Mastery is increased by 12.5%. Additionally, Rising Sun Kick reduces Chi costs by 1 for 5 sec, and Blackout Kick reduces the cooldown of affected abilities by an additional 1 sec.
For the next 30 sec, your Mastery is increased by 10%. Additionally, Keg Smash cooldown is reset instantly and enemies hit by Keg Smash take 8% increased damage from you for 10 sec, stacking up to 4 times.
For the next 30 sec, your Mastery is increased by 42%. Additionally, Essence Font cooldown is reset instantly and heals up to 6 nearby allies for (40% of Spell power) health on channel start and end.
- Drinking Horn Cover:
The duration of Storm, Earth, and Fire is extended by 0.4 sec for every Chi you spend.
The duration of Serenity is extended by 0.3 sec every time you cast a Chi Spender.
- Primal Split [NNF]: During Storm, Earth, and Fire/Serenity, your successive Combo Strikes increase the damage of your abilities that proc Combo Strikes by 3%. Stacks 6 times.
- Whirling Dragon Punch: Performs a devastating whirling upward strike, dealing [3 * (82.9319% of Attack power)] damage to all nearby enemies. Only usable while both Fists of Fury and Rising Sun Kick are on cooldown.
- Strike of the Windlord: Strike with both the power of the Windlord at all enemies in front of you, dealing (933% + 933%) damage and reducing movement speed by 50% for 6 sec.
Calculated Strikes: Spinning Crane Kick’s bonus from striking a unique target with Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick, or Rising Sun Kick is increased by an additional 10%/20%.
Strike with the Tiger [NNF]: Xuen’s damage is increased by 10%/20%.
Strike with Clarity: Weapons of Order’s duration is increased by 2.5/5 sec, and it increases your Mastery by an additional 1.25%/2.50%.
Glory of the Dawn: Rising Sun Kick has a 50%/100% chance to strike a second time for 25% additional damage.
A Bit of Pepper [NNF]: While Storm, Earth, and Fire/Serenity is active you gain 5%/10% additional Critical Strike chance.
Persistent Pummeling: Fists of Fury lasts 1/2 additional sec(s).
Transfer the Power: Blackout Kick and Rising Sun Kick increase the damage dealt by your next Fists of Fury by 2/4%, stacking up to 10 times.
- Empowered Tiger Lightning: Xuen strikes your enemies with Empowered Tiger Lightning every 4 sec, dealing 20% of the damage you have dealt to those targets in the last 4 sec.
- Tiger and Crane Figurines: Xuen’s Tiger Lightning strikes enemies affected by your Mark of the Crane. If his Tiger Lightning only damages 3 or less enemies affected by Mark of the Crane, it strikes them twice for 50% damage.
- Balancing Stave: The mastery effect of Weapons of Order also affects critical strike, haste, versatility, and leech ratings.
- Call to Arms: Weapons of Order calls forth Xuen, the White Tiger to assist you for 15 sec.
Xuen’s Treasure: Rising Sun Kick critical strikes reduce the cooldown of Fists of Fury by 6 sec.
When Fists of Fury ends, the critical strike chance of Rising Sun Kick is increased by 65% for 5 sec.
Tigereye Infusion [NNF]: During Storm, Earth, and Fire/Serenity, Your abilities have a 50% chance to affect the target a second time at 40% effectiveness as Nature damage or healing.
- Jade Igniton: Whenever you deal damage to a target with Fists of Fury, you gain a stack of Chi Energy up to a maximum of 100 stacks.
Using Spinning Crane Kick will cause the energy to detonate in a Chi Explosion, dealing (200% of Attack power) damage to all enemies within 8 yards. The damage is increased by 2% for each stack of Chi Energy.
- Emperor’s Capacitor: Chi spenders increase the damage of your next Crackling Jade Lightning by 100% and reduce its cost by 5%, stacking up to 20 times.
If you’ve made it this far, I hope you enjoyed the article and I look forward to seeing what Blizzard has been cooking up for us going forward in the Dragonflight Alpha.
I like some of these ideas, especially the change to FoF to be similar to fel barrage. Having the option to have 2 charges of a RSK where it’s crits reduce FoF cd in a build with fury of xuen could be really fun. The general talent that increases celestial duration by 50% is cool too especially with the other talents you can combo that with. A lot of playstyle variety in this tree, hopefully a lot of these are implemented as talents!
I was grinning when I saw some Legion lego effects on here, with exception of Emperor’s Cap. WDP/SotWL choice node was honestly pretty nice.
The talent that gives out Karma to another player is an interesting idea but I question its viability. 100% agree with the damage portion removal, I still have trauma from Uldir days. Rushing Jade merged with SCK is great!
I hope Weapons of Order does get this level of integration in our upcoming first iteration but I have a gut feeling they might pick Bonedust Brew instead due to the sheer flare it brought on the spec.
I’m on the fence about the Serenity ideas. While I remember the fluidity of 4pc+2pc rotation in ToS I stronly dislike the lack of versality towards AoE that SeF has over it.
The issue I have in particular is getting out MotC stacks as quick as possible because if I have to tab target for Serenity then I either need coordination with the group to hit a couple mobs before they stack up for the AoE or they are dead by the time I start pressing SCK. A possible answer to this predicament and a talent I was honestly surprised I didn’t find here was Shadowboxing Treads Anima power. If MotC does end up as a talent then perhaps it could be a node with Shadowbox (baked into the cooldown you pick earlier) you might feel more inclined to take it if you choose Serenity over SeF. Not only does it make for great QoL but it has strong synergy with Dance of Chiji.
Overall I like this and I’m looking forward to seeing what the future holds in store for the spec considering the talent tree is quite fairly similar to the one the spec debuted in MoP.
PS: Serenity on 30s CD? C’mon now 😛
9.5/10 I love it. My only dislike is that Invoke Xuen is more or less a mandatory pick. I do not like Xuen as a primary CD. I honestly liked him more as Fury of Xuen (the Azerite Armor Power), which I’m glad to see has a place on this list.