Well, it has finally happened. The first changes seem to have been pushed. Be aware that this is technically just for the pre-patch, not necessarily the next expansion. Some of these are even consistent, or close to, what I included in my articles for my BfA Wishlist (Part 1: Stats, Part 2: Abilities, Part 3: Talents, Part 4: Artifacts and Miscellaneous) so here’s hoping they use some more of the ideas.
There’s so many changes that its really not worth looking at any single one by itself, so don’t single one thing out and freak out. This is just round 1 of changes that will be made, unmade, remade, tweaked, scrapped, laughed at, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.
Before we get into it, a friendly reminder to help the site out by giving us your feedback for how we can improve: https://goo.gl/forms/EUhR3kCoOY7Ht4rN2 and to support the site through Patreon and PayPal. A new expansion is a long and difficult process, and any support you can provide will help to insure we can provide the best content we’re able.
Click here to see all changes
Here are all the changes: https://www.wowhead.com/news=281090/battle-for-azeroth-beta-25902-class-spell-changes
- Chi Wave A wave of Chi energy flows through friends and foes, dealing
[*86.7%of Attack Power*] Nature damage or [*150%of Attack Power*] healing. Bounces up to 7 times to targets within 25 yards. Unlimited range. Instant.
- Crackling Jade Lightning Channel Jade lightning, causing
[*42.7%of Attack Power*] Nature damage over until cancelled to the target and sometimes knocking back melee attackers. 20 Energy, plus 20 per sec / 20 Energy, plus 20 per sec. 40 yd range. 4 sec cast (Channeled).
- Fists of Fury Pummels all targets in front of you, dealing
[*2,867%of Attack Power*] damage over until cancelled. Can be channeled while moving. 8 yd range. Instant.
- Flying Serpent Kick Soar forward through the air at high speed for until cancelled. If used again while active, you will land, dealing
[*53.66%of Attack Power*] damage to all enemies within 8 yards and reducing movement speed by 70% for until cancelled. Instant.
- Leg Sweep Knocks down all enemies within 5 yards, stunning them for until cancelled.
Monk – Level 60 Talent. Instant. 45 sec cooldown.Spinning Crane Kick (Windwalker) Spin while kicking in the air, dealing [*488%of Attack Power*] damage over until cancelled to enemies within 8 yds. Spinning Crane Kick’s damage is increased by 40%for each unique target you’ve struck in the last until cancelled with Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick, Rising Sun Kick, or Rushing Jade Wind.Strike of the Windlord Strike with both Fists of the Heavens at all enemies in front of you, dealing 5,490%of weapon damage and reducing movement speed by 50% for until cancelled. 12 yd range. Instant.
- Tiger Palm (Windwalker) Attack with the palm of your hand, dealing
[*128.1% of Attack Power*] damage.Transcendence: Transfer Your body and spirit swap locations. 40 yd range. Instant. 25 sec cooldown.Ascension Increases your maximum Chi by 1, and your Energy regeneration by 10%. Windwalker Monk – Level 45 Talent.
- Celerity Reduces the cooldown of
Rollby 5 sec and increases its maximum number of charges by 1. Monk – Level 30 Talent.
- Chi Burst Windwalker, Chi Torpedo Torpedoes you forward a long distance and increases your movement speed by 30% for until cancelled, stacking up to 2 times.
Monk – Level 30 Talent. Instant.Chi Wave A wave of Chi energy flows through friends and foes, dealing [*86.7%of Attack Power*] Nature damage or [*150%of Attack Power*] healing. Bounces up to 7 times to targets within 25 yards. Monk – Level 15 Talent. 40 yd range. Instant. 15 sec cooldown.
- Combo Breaker (New) When Tiger Palm causes the Blackout Kick! effect, the cooldown of Rising Sun Kick is reset. Windwalker Monk – Level 60 Talent. 100 yd range.
- Dampen Harm Reduces all damage you take by
20% to 50%for until cancelled, with larger attacks being reduced by more. Monk – Level 75 Talent. Instant. 2 min cooldown.
- Diffuse Magic Reduces magic damage you take by
60%for until cancelled, and transfers all currently active harmful magical effects on you back to their original caster if possible. Monk – Level 75 Talent. Instant. 1.5 min cooldown.
- Energizing Elixir Chug an Energizing Elixir, refilling all your Energy and Chi. Windwalker Monk – Level 45 Talent. Instant. 60 sec cooldown.
- Eye of the Tiger Tiger Palm also applies Eye of the Tiger, dealing
[*43%of Attack Power*] Nature damage to the enemy and [*43%of Attack Power*] healing to the Monk over until cancelled. Monk – Level 15 Talent.
- Fist of the White Tiger (New) Strike your target with the technique of the White Tiger, dealing (500% of weapon damage) Physical damage to your target while generating 3 Chi. Windwalker Monk – Level 60 Talent. 40 Energy. Melee range. Instant. 30 sec cooldown.
- Hit Combo Each successive attack that triggers Combo Strikes in a row grants
2%increased damage, stacking up to 6 times. Windwalker Monk – Level 90 Talent.
- Inner Strength (New) Each Chi you spend reduces damage taken by 3% for 4 sec. Windwalker Monk – Level 75 Talent. 100 yd range.
- Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger Summons an effigy of Xuen, the White Tiger for until cancelled. Xuen attacks your primary target, and strikes 3 enemies within 10 yards every 1 sec with Tiger Lightning for
[*30%of Attack Power*] Nature damage. Windwalker Monk – Level 90 Talent. 40 yd range. Instant. 3 min cooldown.Leg Sweep [TBD] (New) The cooldown of Leg Sweep is reduced by 15 sec. Monk – Level 60 Talent.
- Power Strikes Every 15 sec, your next Tiger Palm
generates 1 additional Chi. Windwalker Monk – Level 45 Talent.
- Rushing Jade Wind (New) Summons a whirling tornado around you, causing [*11.8% of Attack Power*] damage over until cancelled to enemies within 8 yards. Windwalker Monk – Level 90 Talent. 4 Energy, plus 4 per sec. Instant. 6 sec cooldown.
- Tornado Kicks (New) Rising Sun Kick strikes a second time for 25% additional damage. Windwalker Monk – Level 60 Talent. 100 yd range.
- Whirling Dragon Punch Performs a devastating whirling upward strike, dealing
[*1,518.9%of Attack Power*] damage to all nearby enemies. Only usable while Fists of Fury and Rising Sun Kick are on cooldown. Windwalker Monk – Level 100 Talent. Instant. 24 sec cooldown.
- Wind Strikes (New) When you use Fists of Fury, you next 3 Tiger Palm attacks release a gust of wind that deals (150% of weapon damage) Physical damage to all enemies 8 yards in front of you. Windwalker Monk – Level 100 Talent. 100 yd range.
- Rising Sun Kick (Windwalker) Kick upwards, dealing
[*653%of Attack Power*] damage, and reducing the effectiveness of healing on the target for until cancelled.
- Spinning Crane Kick (Windwalker) Spin while kicking in the air, dealing
[*488%of Attack Power*] damage over until cancelled to enemies within 8 yds. Spinning Crane Kick’s damage is increased by 40%for each unique target you’ve struck in the last until cancelled with Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick, Rising Sun Kick, or Rushing Jade Wind.Spinning Crane Kick 3Chi / 1% of Base Mana / 3 Chi.
- Afterlife When you kill an enemy, you summon a Healing Sphere, healing you for
[*1,200%of Attack Power*] when you walk through it. When you kill an enemy with Blackout Kick, you have a 50% chance to summon a Chi Sphere, granting 1 Chi when you walk through it. Monk – Windwalker Spec.
- Leather Specialization Increases your Agility by
5%while wearing only Leather armor. Monk – Windwalker Spec.
- Stance of the Fierce Tiger Increases all damage dealt by
0%. Monk – Windwalker Spec.Windwalker Monk Increases damage/healing by 25%: Blackout Kick, Chi Burst, Chi Orbit, Chi Wave, Crackling Jade Lightning, Crosswinds, Eye of the Tiger, Fists of Fury, Flying Serpent Kick, Rising Sun Kick, Rushing Jade Wind, Spinning Crane Kick, Strike of the Windlord, Thunderfist, Tiger Palm, Whirling Dragon Punch Increases periodic damage/healing by 25%: Blackout Kick, Chi Burst, Chi Orbit, Chi Wave, Crackling Jade Lightning, Crosswinds, Eye of the Tiger, Fists of Fury, Flying Serpent Kick, Rising Sun Kick, Rushing Jade Wind, Spinning Crane Kick, Strike of the Windlord, Thunderfist, Tiger Palm, Whirling Dragon Punch Increases damage/healing by 26%: Blackout Kick, Rising Sun Kick, Tiger Palm Increases damage/healing by 22%: Chi Wave, Refreshing Jade Wind, Rushing Jade Wind Increases periodic damage/healing by 22%: Eye of the Tiger Monk – WindwalkerSpec.
- Blackout Kick Windwalker: Kick with a blast of Chi energy, dealing (385%98.637% of Attack power) Physical damage.damage. Reduces the cooldown of Rising Sun Kick and Fists of Fury by 1.0 sec when used.
Obviously, thats a TON of changes, and not easy to wade through. I’ll try and make sense of it all with my personal commentary. I’m also not going to bother with links to the abilities, because its late and meh, if you’re confused by the acronyms, then check out the Acronym Guide.
- Many are just AP coefficient reductions – Don’t forget about the stat squish, so looking at those numbers is meaningless
- FoF seems to be given a change to its cleave where it does 100% damage to main target and 50% damage to each other target hit – Not clear whether its 50% to each target or 50% split between them all. Not a great change, but not terrible either. Its one of those changes that we really wont know how it plays out for awhile, there may be a plan to this change that make sense in a big picture way.
- Leg Sweep is now baseline with a 60s CD instead of 45s but has a lv60 talent that reduces it by 15s– Its a great stun, so having it not tied to a talent will be very nice
- SCK damage is now increased by 10% per target and stacks can’t be built from RJW, and may cost 2 chi instead of 3 – Some toning down of the AOE potential and reliance on building stacks may be welcome, it will certainly make it easier to balance single target and AOE together and separately. The chi change will be nice.
- SotW is still around – Remember this is just prepatch, so that doesn’t mean it will be around in BfA, but its not the worst sign
- Trans Transfer is 45s CD instead of 25s – I struggle to use this ability to its full potential anyway, so whats an extra CD time to me
- Ascension also increases your max energy by 20 – Cant really judge this in isolation
- Chi Burst provides 1 chi per enemy target hit by the damage and instant cast? – OMG WFT HOLY AOE RESOURCE POTENTIAL BATMAN, an extra max chi every 30s is COOOOL
- Chi Torpedo is lv75 talent now – Well ok then
- Combo Breaker is now also a lv60 talent resets the CD of RSK when you generate a BoK! proc– WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that’s straight from my wishlist!!! If this goes live, we will feel a little bit better about losing SotW, if it comes to that
- Dampen Harm and Diffuse Magic got confusing formulas
- Energizing Elixir refills all energy and gives 2 chi – This makes it enormously easier to use, and if this is the standard for that talent row to be balanced on, its a good standard
- Fist of the White Tiger is a new lv60 talent, looks like a super charged Tiger Palm on a 30s CD – I can’t keep all the talent changes straight in this post, so we’ll circle back to that in a few weeks
- Hit Combo is reduced to 1% per stack – Not quite removing it, but meh
- Inner Strength is a new defensive lv75 talent that reduces damage by amount of chi spent – 4s seems a little short to build up any defensive benefit, but maybe its stacking or rolling, who knows
- Xuen’s cooldown is now 2mins instead of 3 – Step in the right direction for the big cat
- Power Strikes now does additional damage when it generates the chi – With EE getting nerfed, this is an interesting change
- RJW now costs energy instead of chi – It never should have cost Chi in the first place
- Tornado Kicks is now a lv60 talent instead of an artifact trait – DOUBLE BACKFLIPS FOR EVERYONE!! With CD reset of RSK, this could be real cool
- Wind Strikes is a new lv100 talent, after you use FoF your next 3 TP deal more damage to all enemies in front of you – Seems underwhelming, but a little bit more engaging than Chi Orbit… just a little bit
- Stance of the Fierce Tiger is back, increasing damage dealt by 500% – Ah the good old way of balancing the spec before the aura buffs
- The Windwalker Aura is still around.. but so many words
- Summon Black Ox Statue is gone? – DAVE NOOOOOOO
- BoK reduces the CD of FoF and RSK – definitely gives it a nice extra bonus to just being a Chi dump
Well that’s all the changes for today, for now. This is just the first step in a months long process, so try not to jump off any bridges yet. In my opinion, based on these changes, they are almost entirely positive and help to fix some of the annoyances and issues with Windwalker. There is still more I’d like to see (Chi-mehameha Wave or Chi-rit Bomb), but its a start.
If you like the content that I, and the others at PeakofSerenity provide, then please support us through Patreon and PayPal. If you have any questions you can ask in Discord.
You can also check me out on Twitter, YouTube, and Twitch, where I stream all my raids as well as article writing and more.
We are back bois!
Lets have a moment of silence for Dave, The Black Ox Statue. I’ll always remember Dave, taunting bats on Tichondrius. Picking up those pesky worms on Mythic Mistress Sasszine before they instantly one shot someone. Oh, the world quests that he made so much easier. He will be missed.
I wish they would stop trying to balance Xuen and just give him to us baseline. All monk specs should have their invoke baseline. Swapping Healing Elixirs and Chi Torpedo seems..weird. They don’t belong in the row they are in now. Also, it looks like Chi Torpedo no longer replaces Roll.
But I’m loving these changes. Though concerned for the Fist of the White Tiger. I’m the type who doesn’t like a lot of abilities cluttering up my bars. As it is, I don’t have any comfortable keybinds to put it on if we end up using it. If we don’t keep SOTWL, though, it will take it’s spot.
> Also, it looks like Chi Torpedo no longer replaces Roll.
It still does, as you can see in the Celerity talent.
> RJW now costs energy instead of chi – It never should have cost Chi in the first place
And it costs energy per sec to keep it up, kinda like Enhancer’s Fury of Air.
> Wind Strikes is a new lv100 talent, after you use FoF your next 3 TP deal more damage to all enemies in front of you.
Would be interesting to know if those AoE hits also buff the Spinning Crane Kick damage.
>It still does, as you can see in the Celerity talent.
The celerity talent doesn’t mean it still replaces roll, just that it affects both still. But on wowhead it does still say it replaces roll. It just didn’t in the MMOChamp post about the talents.
>And it costs energy per sec to keep it up, kinda like Enhancer’s Fury of Air.
At least it’s still spammable for world quests, but it’s still useless for raiding. It’s much much worse than enhances as they generate Fury of Air’s cost, we are constantly spending the resource needed to keep RJW up. The moment we TP ourselves to 0 energy, it will shut off.
Both combo breaker and tornado kick are level 60 talent. No double reset backflip for us
Bummer about dave.. Also the increased cool down on transfer is transfer is annoying. I mainly used it to cheseball stuff in raid bosses so i bet thats why.
Yea they seem to be smacking any and all cheese with the nurf. Rouges got a good shafting in the patch notes. At least it’s blanket and not selective.
WoWhead BfA talent calc still has Dave as a talent choice, where are you getting the info that he is removed?
Some of the talents seem to be taking his spot in the row. There are three talents listed in the row that he is/was in.
MFW reading the Rising sun Kick talents :O
MFW reading both are lvl 60 talents T_T
I don’t see how the FoF nerf is not a terrible change. It seems terrible to me. Does it not take away a HUGE amount of AOE damage? Am I missing something? I know Blizz has gone back and forth in the past with how FoF deals its cleave damage, so like you said, I guess it could work in the big picture.
Also, I’ll miss SCK doing so much damage per stack. This new version will no doubt be easier, but I always liked how rewarding it was when you were able to effectively tag all your targets and do so much burst AOE.
I’d like to raise the uhhh…. issue? of Leather Spec.:
Leather Specialization Increases your Agility by 5% [*5 + 25% of Spell Power*]% while wearing only Leather armor. Monk – Windwalker Spec.
This is gonna act kinda weird and buff itself.